At a glance
• Trip dates: March 23rd- April 7th 2019
• The cost of the trip is £2500.
. Due to the popularity of this new trip we only have places for dental nurses and hygienists remaining in 2019.
• The team will run outreach clinics in and around the village of Melkhoutfontein. You will also visit schools, pre-schools and nurseries providing treatments for children and oral health education sessions.
• Teams of 8 volunteers including dentists, dental nurses, hygienists and therapists
• Flights from London to Johannesburg and internal flights from Johannesburg to George.
• Opportunites to see wildlife, go on beach trips and to help with community projects on your days off.
• All volunteers should attend a familiarization and training day ahead of their trip. The cost of this event is £20 which includes lunch and 3 hours’ CPD. Training days are not included in the price of your trip.
The clinic in Melkhoutfontein where Dentaid volunteers will establish dental surgeries and run oral health education sessions.
This is a wonderful opportunity to visit the beautiful country of South Africa and provide dental care for communities that find it difficult to access treatment. You’ll be establishing community clinics in the village of Melkhoutfontein and the surrounding area and visiting schools, pre-schools and nurseries to provide basic dental treatments, oral health education sessions and fluoride varnish programmes. There are many people in the community who require dental treatment but have not been able to visit a dentist.Terms and Conditions FAQ
After arriving in Johannesburg the team will spend a night in a guesthouse and have the opportunity to visit the Apartheid Museum, Constitutional Hill or other signficant sites. On Monday, March 25th you’ll take a two hour internal flight to George and drive 1.5 hours to Melkhoutfontein where the team will be based for the rest of the trip. You’ll stay within the community in comfortable houses hosted by “Mammas” who are used to welcoming volunteers and guests.There will be four clinical days each week providing emergency treatment for people in pain, screening, preventative treatments and establishing oral health programmes. The trip will be led by Dentaid’s international clinical director Simon Crewe. Volunteers are asked to fundraise £2500 to cover the cost of flights, accommodation, transport, meals on work days and dental supplies.
Toothbrushes have been donated to Dreamcatcher for oral health education programmes as many families in the area are unable to afford them.
Dreamcatcher has a wide range of projects to benefit the community
During your stay in South Africa you’ll be hosted by Dentaid’s charity partner Dreamcatcher which runs a number of projects to engage the community, preserve traditions and protect ecology. On the middle Saturday you’ll be invited to work with the community on one of their projects such as painting murals with local residents, restoring ancient fish traps on the beach or planting indigenous flowers in a new botanical garden being created on a former waste dump. The following day the team will be able to visit the beach at nearby Still Bay.At the end the trip we hope to visit Ostrich Kingdom at Oudtshoorn or Mosselbay for more sightseeing before heading back to Johannesburg and on to London. Volunteers may extend their stay to go on safari at their own expense if they wish. Learn more about Dreamcatcher
South Africa trip datesApply now
- March 23rd – April 7th – PLACES FOR DENTAL NURSES AND HYGIENISTS ONLY