At a glance
• 14th February to 1st March 2019 – FULL
5th to 20th September 2019 – £2250 – FULL
24th October to 8th November 2019 – £2250 – APPLY BELOW
• The price of this trip is £2250
• The duration of this trip is 2 weeks
• New locations each trip – providing outreach dental care in children’s homes, orphanages, remote communities and schools.
• Teams of 8-12 volunteers including dentists, dental nurses, hygienists and therapists
• Time difference 3hr ahead of GMT
• Currency is the Ugandan shilling
• Basic pain relief dentistry, fissure sealant treatments, fluoride varnish programmes and oral health education
• All volunteers should attend a familiarization and training day ahead of their trip. The cost of this event is £20 which includes lunch and 3 hours’ CPD. Training days are not included in the price of your trip.
Uganda is a beautiful country in eastern Africa where you can be assured of an incredible welcome. Dentaid supports an amazing team of Ugandan dental professionals all year round and our volunteering teams work alongside them to run outreach clinics in schools, churches, prisons, orphanages, schools and in remote communities. No two trips are the same. The itinerary depends on the dental needs of local populations. Some teams take a boat across Lake Victoria to run clinics for island communities, other times we visit refugee camps or deliver care in the slum areas of large cities. These are busy trips with our teams treating up to 200 people a day. There’s often a long queue but people are happy to wait because this will be the only chance the have to see a dentist.Terms and Conditions FAQ
Oral health education is at the heart of Dentaid’s work in Uganda. Sweet fizzy drinks are readily available and few people are aware of the damage they cause teeth. All team members are asked to promote oral health and the team will run toothbrushing and oral health instruction programmes alongside the clinics.
Dental treatments required often include extractions, fillings, scale and polish and screening. Teams use Dentaid’s portable dental chairs and equipment. You might be working out in the open or in churches, classrooms or community buildings. The ages of patients ranges from toddlers to people over the age of 100. Many patients will never have visited a dentist before and some will have suffered long-term dental pain.
Our teams fly to Kampala and travel around Uganda by private bus. You’ll stay in local hotels and have the chance to eat in traditional resturants and with the communities you visit.
Everyone is involved with setting up the clinics and cleaning up at the end of the day and our trip leader is there to keep everyone safe and ensure things run smoothly.
On your days off there will be the chance to visit wildlife in the national parks and shop for traditional goods. Dentaid volunteering teams have also had the opportunity to go on a gorilla trek, zipwire through the forest canopy and visit Ugandan farms and markets.
Volunteers are encouraged to fundraise the £2250 which pays for your flight, accommodation, travel, meals on working days, dental supplies and equipment. It also supports Dentaid’s ongoing work in Uganda. We fund a team of dentists to run outreach clinics in the most remote communities and send them equipment and portable dental chairs so they can carry out this vital work.
Dentaid can give you support and advice to help with your fundraising. Please note your visa, travel insurance and vaccinations are not included and you must arrange and pay for these separately.
You will be invited to a training day in the months leading up to your trip where you can meet the rest of your team and trip leader and ask questions.
We also offer opportunities for non dental assistants to join our teams in Uganda so please call us to discuss this.
Our trip datesApply now
- 14th February – 1st March 2019 – FULL
- 5th – 20th September 2019 – FULL
- 24th October – 8th November – APPLY NOW
- Email: email@example.com to express your interest