At a glance
• The duration of this trip is 2 weeks
• The team size for this trip is: 6
• You will be staying with host families who are Dentaid volunteers
• Busy clinics providing emergency dental treatment and teaching people how to care for their teeth
• Currency: USD
• All volunteers should attend a familiarization and training day ahead of their trip. These will usually be held at Dentaid’s headquarters between Salisbury and Southampton – dates TBC.
The cost of this event is £40 which includes lunch and 2 hours’ CPD. Training days are not included in the price of your trip.
Our volunteers run clinics in hospitals, health centres, orphanages and a leprosy centre. All the children receive a toothbrush and toothpaste and many are given fluoride treatments to protect their teeth. The opportunity to receive free dental care attracts a large crowd and people walk a long way to see you. The equipment is basic and the trip is hard work but all our volunteers find it a rewarding and life changing experience.
The dental need in Zimbabwe is huge. Years of political upheaval have taken their toll on health services in the country and a lack of transport, poor roads and regular flash flooding mean it is impossible for many people to access dental care. In some remote areas there are no clinics at all and people have to live with long-term dental pain. Dentaid’s volunteering experience in Zimbabwe will take you to areas where people need your help most.
“We worked extremely hard, the team work was just brilliant and the host dentists we worked with were amazing. The patients were extremely grateful and very happy. It was an absolutely rewarding and eye opening experience.” Monica Zendera, Dentaid volunteer in Zimbabwe 2016